Research & Development
TALON 540 works on numerous side projects in addition to constructing a competition ready robot. Below are some of them!
- TALON 540 has done a lot of development with the Oculus Rift in the past year
- We recieved our Oculus Rift during the 2013-2014 season as a donation from Palmer Luckey, the founder of Oculus.
- Initially, programming began experimenting with the capabilities of the stereoscopic motion and the 3D environment.
- Programming integrated the Oculus into regular robot functions by utilizing two cameras on either side of the robot to emulate a stereoscopic view
- The cameras streamed into a computer connected into the Oculus, allowing the secondary driver to view from a first person perspective
- We were not allowed to use this technology in the actual competition itself, however our programmers will continue to develop this technology for other projects.
Leap Motion Controller
- We purchased the Leap Motion Controller at the beginning of the year in order to control the robot in new and innovative ways.
- Initially, the sensor was to be used by the secondary driver to operate different components on the robot. This was accomplished, but was deemed not precise enough for competition use.
- After the season ended, we decided to change the sensor’s use and programmed it to control the robot when the driver controlled it with both hands.
- Using both hands worked better because the action of driving the robot doesn’t have as many precise actuations as the pistons and other actuators.
- A future possibility is that this can be combined with the Oculus Rift technology, removing the downside of obscured vision encountered with the Rift.
SD540 in Collaboration with MindSensors
- A load capacity of 60 amps continuous and 100 amps peak
- Passive Cooling
- Bidirectional limit switches
- Power, direction and status indicator LEDs
- Brake/coast and direction selection with flip of a switch
- Field upgradable firmware
- Can interface with any library that has the PWM API
Google Daydream VR